First and foremost, let’s figure out what valium is. Valium or diazepam is a sedative-hypnotic prescription drug which is used to treat anxiety, alcohol withdrawal, seizures and sleeplessness. It also relieves muscle spasms and calms brain and nerves.
Positive effects of using diazepam
- There are some people who suffer from anxiety and they are forced to deal with emotional distress every day. Diazepam eases anxiety and helps those people feel calm and relaxed.
- Valium is used to treat sleeping disorders. Sleep problems are usually caused by emotional distress. That’s where valium comes to the assistance. It reduces nightmares and helps rest at night.
- Millions of people suffer from alcoholism and die of it every year. Diazepam helps reduce alcoholism withdrawal symptoms.
- Valium is often used before any kind of medical procedure due to its sedative effect.
How to use valium
The first thing that should be done is studying the medication guide provided by your pharmacist. Diazepam is normally used for a short period of time or as required. The recommended dose of valium is from 2mg to 10 mg for adults and from 1 mg to 2.5 mg for children older than 6 months. It is crucial to use this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not change dosage without consulting the doctor.
Who are not allowed to take valium?
- If you are allergic to diazepam, do not take this medication.
- People with liver diseases, glaucoma and sleep apnea.
- Those who have severe breathing problems.
Side effects of taking this medication
A lot of medications have side effects which are an undesired response to a medication. Side effects can be mild or severe, permanent or temporary.
If you are concerned about any of listed below side effects or you are already experiencing some of them, you should consult your doctor immediately.
- Blurry vision
- Dry mouth
- Changes in heart rate
- Memory loss
- Signs of depression
If you have noticed any of these side effects, you should stop taking valium and seek immediate medical attention.
Valium is considered to work better when it is taken without food. It is better to take valium a few hours after your evening meal. Valium must not be taken with alcohol or any other benzodiazepines. It can be very dangerous. Moreover, valium isn’t for everybody as it is a habit-forming medication. People with drug or alcohol abuse or addiction cannot take it. Finally, it is even possible to die from valium. So, make sure you follow the recommended dose.